Sunday, June 03, 2007

For those of you who care...but just weren't there

Here is the speech I gave at the "cool community" event:

Living on Mayne Island it's hard to escape nature. Deer wander through our lawn daily. Raccoons relentlessly attempt to steal our trash. Tree frogs serenade us. Spiders seek refugee in the nooks and carnies of our house. Yes, there is no escape: enjoy it or leave. Those of us who have chosen to stay care about nature. Caring about nature we have no choose but to commit ourselves to reducing global warming. I am proud to say that I have don my part:

-I recycle, reduce, re-use
-I haven't ridden in an airplane for over nine years.
-I was my laundry in cold water
-I am a vegetarian
-I use energy saving light bulbs
-I drive an electric bike

But I am the first to admit that I am not the poster child for greenness. Most of what I have accomplished has been forced upon me by life circumstances. I'm being honest not humble.

Recently I realized that I could be more purposeful in my approach to reducing my footprint. If you're like me full of questions. Then you will be pleased to know that there are many knowledge people here today with answers.

After today the thermometer will remain. It will remain to inspire and inform. After today there will be no more need to guess. We will be able to clearly see what we can do to reduce global warming. We will be able to challenge ourselves to further reduce our environmental footprint. We can see when we fall off the wagon.

And when or if you do fall off the wagon don't be too hard on yourself. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again. Living green requires changing your mindset and that's hard to do but I promise you it is worth it and it is fun. Just ask me about my electric bike.

It's time to wake up. It's time to do something kind for our mother earth.

I recently saw a bumper sticker that sums it up rather well: The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth.

Coming soon to this blog...a picture of me giving the speech (who can resist that) and some of the answers I discovered today. Please remain calm and stay logged on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home