Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Icelandic Adventure

Wednesday September 5th
We are winding down our extremely long day of travel (as we near Iceland) so what better time to recap our adventure than now.
Our day began at the ungodly hour of 4 o'clock a.m.. I was surprisingly chipper as I quickly showered and got ready for the day.
At 5:30 a.m. our free airport shuttle was on the road. We arrived at Vancouver airport and started on our merry way.
Next stop Chicago airport. If you haven't been you need to go. This airport is part mall - part amusement park.
It comes complete with light show. The shopping is endless. I bought a pen - to prove I had been there.
Then it was onward to Boston.
I quickly fell in love with this seaside state and made a mental note to return.
The greasy spoon airport was far less impressive. It is oddly laid out to take up as much room as geographically possible. We walked for miles and finally reached our destination.
It was the end of the day - I was tired and stressed - and so customs was a nightmare.
The waiting area...oh let me tell you about the waiting area: you would think in an area designed to inform and relax passengers that that is what it would be designed to do but NO! The volume in that area was unbearably loud. The TV blared away as passengers tired in vain to drowned it out. This all of course made it nearly impossible to hear any announcement.
Finally it came time to board Icelandair. Right away my mood calmed. Waiting for us on our seats were warm blankets and comfy pillows. They have just served us a meal: the crab salad was delicious and the chocolate chip brownie melts in your mouth. The pilot has announced that we will be flying over Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Greenland but its pitch black outside so I will have to take his word for it.
Soon I will reach Icelandair soil. I wonder what wonders wait for me there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home