Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth day

About four years ago I gave a speak that I will now offer you...

Living on Mayne Island it's hard to escape nature. Deer wander through our lawn daily. Raccoons relentlessly attempt to steal our trash. Tree frogs serenade us. Spiders seek refugee in the nooks and carnies of our house. Yes, there is no escape -- enjoy it or leave.

Those of us who have chosen to stay care about nature. Caring about nature we have no choice but to commit ourselves to reducing global warming. I am proud to say that I have done my part:

-I recycle, reduce, re-use
-I haven't ridden in an airplane for over nine years
-I wash my laundry in cold water
-I'm a vegetarian
-I use energy saving light bulbs
-I walk or drive an electric bike

But I am the first to admit that I'm not the poster child for greenness. Most of what I have accomplished has been forced upon me by life circumstances. I'm being honest not humble.

Recently I realized that I could be more purposeful in my approach to reducing my footprint. If you're like me full of questions. Its time you find some answers. Wake up, search the web, follow the example of others who are more mindful. It is up to us. Set goals. Work towards them.

However, when of if you fail to reach these goals don't be too hard on yourself. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again.

Living green requires changing your mindset and that's hard to do but I promise you it worth it and it is fun. Just ask me about my electric bike.

It is time.

I recently saw a bumper sticker that read -- The earth doesn't belong to us. We belong to the earth.
Leanne
Visit me: www.oknitting.com

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home