Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm working...

I'm working on the next book in the Maynely A Mystery series -- MAYNELY HIDDEN.
I finished writing two other books before setting sail on the good ship MAYNELY HIDDEN. One of these other books was written, edited and submitted in one month -- I was inspired. The other, after four years of labour, was finally finished and submitted this month. These experiences left me feeling invincible. I was writer hear me roar.
Then, then I meet MAYNELY HIDDEN. Then I panicked and my pen stopped moving.
Why?
I'm not sure but I think it may have been pressure.
You see it seems that everyone I have spoken to lately about my writing has loved MAYNELY A MYSTERY. Their words still sing in my ear. I love praise.
However, like eating too much chocolate hearing too much praise made me sick. I began to panic. I want you to enjoy MAYNELY HIDDEN just as much as you had enjoyed MAYNELY A MYSTERY. ...But what if I couldn't pull it off?
It has always surprised me that some of my most favourite authors only published one book. I'm not surprised any longer. Now I know one of the possible reasons why.
So that was my dilemma.
What was the solution?
Freewriting.
I just wrote -- blindly, fearlessly. I wrote. I didn't worry about the merit of my words. I wrote.
Have you heard of this technique.
Today on The Book Designer blog Joel Friedlander has a blog entry entitled: Unleash Your Creativity Now: How to Freewrite
It's a good article you should read it. Here's the link: http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/04/unleash-your-creativity-now-how-to-freeewrite/#more-5757
So if you are blocked try freewriting. It works.
Oh, yeah and please don't forget this Saturday, April 24th starting at 1 pm two fellow Mayne Island authors and I will be giving book readings at Overleaf Cafe and Bookstore (1105 Pandora) Victoria, BC
Leanne
Visit me: www.oknitting.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home